Quality Payment Program Final Countdown
January 28, 2020
Written by Amber Rogers
It is hard to believe the Medicare Quality Payment Program (QPP), including Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS), is entering its fourth year. To close out 2019 successfully, it is important to complete your audit folder and begin establishing your 2020 goals. Here are a few reminders and tips to help with your success.
Promoting Interoperability (PI)
- Risk Security Assessment: This is required, and failure to complete it will result in a score of zero in the PI category.
- Confirm your electronic health record (EHR) certification ID. This will be required if you are manually entering your PI data on the QPP website. You can request this from your vendor or look up the number here: https://chpl.healthit.gov/#/search
- Improvement Activities must include at least a 90-day period. For your audit file, you should include any documentation of the efforts your practice completed to meet the improvement activity for a minimum of six years.
- Review this link to verify you have met the validation criteria and ensure you are including the suggested documentation.
- Verify you have included at least one outcome measure in your submission file. If an outcome measure is not available for your specialty, you must submit a high priority measure. Failure to enter at least one of these will result in a zero for this category.
- Obtain copies of your final 2019 Quality Reporting Document Architecture (QRDA) III file. Even if your EHR vendor submits the data on your behalf, you will want to ensure this file is in your audit file. If you use multiple collection types, all final results should be kept in your audit file.
Verify Your QPP Portal Account
- Passwords expire if you do not use your QPP account frequently. Also, if you have had personnel changes, the required security official may no longer be with your facility or practice, and the role will need to be reassigned prior to giving additional access to users.
- For assistance with setting up your QPP account, see the Quality Payment Program Access User Guide
Other Resource Links