Tracking and Projecting CPC+ Funds
August 4, 2017
Written by Kristen Schuster, Practice Facilitator
Last week, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) released the 2017 Financial Reporting Guide. This blog will outline what is expected from your practice for 2017 reporting and 2018 projection of funds. Your practice should reference the full Reporting Guide or the fact sheet located on Comprehensive Primary Care Plus (CPC+) Connect for the outline of what the financial reports will look like in your CMS Practice Portal. In the meantime, below you will find the expectations for revenue and expenditure reporting for 2017 and 2018.
Reporting is done at a CPC+ clinic level and is done as a group, not as an individual.
- Breakdown of revenue by PAYER and PAYMENT TYPE
- Total care management fees
- Total fee-for-service alternate payment types (e.g.,. Comprehensive Primary Care Payment [CPCP] Track 2 only)
- Exclude at-risk revenue, such as shared savings, the Performance-Based Incentive Payment (PBIP) and any other revenue that is conditioned on meeting quality/utilization/efficiency
- Attributed lives broken down by payer
- Total practice revenue
- Total active lives
- Total attributed lives
- Total CPC+ revenue
- Percentage of revenue from CPC+
- Percentage of patients attributed to a CPC+ payer
- Non-labor expenditures for CPC+ ONLY (facilities cost, supplies, trainings, health IT maintenance, etc.)
- Total non-labor
- Clinical care activities (office visits, alternate visits, care management, etc.)
- Administrative activities (team huddles, care review processes, patient family advisory council, time, etc.)
- Non-CPC+ activities (this includes activities that existed prior to CPC+ and did not change as a result of it)
- Total labor
- Total CPC+ revenue
- Total CPC+ expenditures
These same categories will be used for your practices’ actual 2017 numbers and will also be used for the 2018 projections. It is recommended that you start talking with all of the payers to ensure you have all the patient data you need to fill out the 2017 report. This report will be due in Q4. You will also have to plan your 2018 forecast data to report in Q4 of 2017. If you do not have a system in place on how funds are tracked in your organization, please go to CPC+ Connect and download the supplementary Excel-based workbook. This workbook will give you a guide to begin tracking all of the above categories.
If you have any questions, or run into issues with any of the CPC+ objectives and would like help please use the “Leave a Reply” section below, or email Kristen Schuster directly with your questions or comments.