2017 Medicaid MU Details for Providers
November 7, 2017
Written by Patty Kosednar
Here are the details for eligible providers attesting to the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program for calendar year 2017. Medicare eligible providers will now be reporting meaningful use (MU) under the Advancing Care Information category in MIPS. For providers continuing to report meaningful use under the Medicaid EHR Incentive programs, here are the requirements for 2017:
2017 Medicaid EHR Incentive Program Summary
- Providers can choose to report requirements for Modified Stage 2 or Stage 3 (your choice).
- You must use 2015 or a combination of 2014/2015 certified EHR technology to report to Stage 3, 2014 certified EHR for Modified Stage 2.
- The reporting period for 2017 will again be a continuous 90-day period within the 2017 calendar year (CQMs can be a different 90-day period than core objectives*).
- Along with the core measures you will need to report six clinical quality measures (they do not need to cross domains*).
- No alternate exclusions are available for Modified Stage 2.
*Some Medicaid requirements are determined by your State Medicaid office, so you’ll want to double check with your State Medicaid office to verify their specific criteria. The above items have been confirmed by the Montana State Medicaid office.
The 2017 Modified Stage 2 requirements for EPs are the same 10 objectives and performance criteria as they were for 2016 except for the following:
- Objective 8, Measure 2, Patient Electronic Access: For an EHR reporting period in 2017, more than five percent of unique patients seen by the EP during the EHR reporting period (or his or her authorized representatives) view, download or transmit to a third party their health information during the EHR reporting period.
- Objective 9, Secure Messaging (EPs only): For an EHR reporting period in 2017, for more than five percent of unique patients seen by the EP during the EHR reporting period, a secure message was sent using the electronic messaging function of CEHRT to the patient (or the patient-authorized representative), or in response to a secure message sent by the patient (or the patient-authorized representative) during the EHR reporting period.
If you are interested in reporting to Stage 3, here is a link to the requirements: CMS Medicaid EP 2017 Stage 3 requirements.
All Medicaid 2017 EHR Incentive Program requirements are available on the CMS website.
Attestations will be submitted via your State Level Registry (SLR). For registration updates (adding new providers, updating info, etc.) you’ll need to update the National Level Registry (NLR) first, this will synchronize data with your State Level Registry.
2017 Tasks for EP Medicaid EHR Incentive Program
- Confirm and document Medicaid Eligibility for providers
- Confirm and document your EHR certification
- Choose Stage to report (Stage 2 or Stage 3)
- Run MU Objective and CQM data reports from all locations that your provider practices (see requirements for providers practicing in multiple locations)
- Work on data entry/workflows for measures not hitting needed thresholds
- Perform tasks and create documentation for the “yes/no” core objectives
- Verify all SLR/NLR logins and passwords
- Add/update NLR registration profile (if any changes occurred)
- Meet all objectives
- Finalize all MU audit documentation
- Attest 2017 Medicaid EHR Incentive program data via SLR
If you have any questions, or run into issues with any of the meaningful use objectives and would like help, please use the “Leave a Reply” section below, or email Patty Kosednar directly with your questions or comments.